The new courthouse was designed by the architect Willis R. Biggers of Tampa, and was more than three times larger than the Victorian courthouse. Construction began in February of 1912 and finished in May of 1913. The new courthouse featured an exterior of pale beige bricks above large concrete foundation blocks. Imposing white columns surrounded each of the four entrances, while white trim accented the windows and building facade. Copper sheeting covered the clock tower and dome. A red tile roof and brown window and door frames completed the exterior color scheme. Courthouse square is situated so that the corners face the main compass directions and is like a hub in that each corner is aligned with a street. The total cost of the courthouse was $55, 885 and was 11% over the original budget.