The first Citrus County fair was held in Lecanto in 1915. Walter Allen, who was the first agriculture agent, and John E. King were the organizers of the first fair. The building where the fair was held was merely an open-air exhibit hall located near the school grounds.
Athletic events produced competitive rivalries amongst the communities where both boys and girls participated. One year, airplane rides were offered to residents giving them the opportunity not only to see a plane for the first time, but also to fly in one. At that time, present-day State Road 44 created a makeshift runway, which ran adjacent to the fairgrounds.
The fair continued in its first location until 1927 when a larger site in Lecanto was purchased by the County Commissioners. That site is now the location of the county maintenance department on Hwy 491. The fair was held there for only two years due to the land boom going bust, and eventual the Depression ruined the local economy. There would not be another county fair until twenty years later in 1948, but this time it was held in Inverness where it has remained.